Orcas Action Month Ends. Will The Threats To Orcas End?|
posted on June 30, 2021
The ocean habitats are the homes of indigenous orcas. They live in all oceans of the world. They have their cultures and language. However, they do not have rights yet to stop humans from violating their lives!
As the June 2021 Orca Action Month ends it is just the beginning of Lifeforce’s new actions to protect the rights of orcas.
Further Actions Needed:
1. Vessel traffic is one of the three major threats to orcas. The continuous barbaric, unnecessary research boat traffic must end. For decades, millions of dollars are spent on “research” and even one L Pod orca died in 2016 from a tracking dart infection. As we know, the experiments have not saved the Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKWs). Research must be safe, humane and use modern non invasive technologies.
2. Canadian and US Governments are polluting orca homes and that also threaten salmon that is a vital food source for the endangered SRKW. Sewage Treatment plants must be immediately upgraded to provide clean ocean homes. Immediate actions must be taken to upgrade all sewage treatment plants to the highest level of Tertiary Treatment! It must be the law! Sign and Share the Petition: STOP SEWAGE POLLUTION KILLING ORCAS.
3. True Marine Sanctuaries or Aquarium Research Tourism Attractions?
There have been and are great marine sanctuaries where the goals have been to release former captive cetaceans into the wild. Freedom should be the goal.
However, some researchers fought cetacean bans by claiming it was important research that could only be done in captivity. The Canadian Cetacean Captivity “Ban” permitted “legitimate scientific research” that can perpetuate captivity. Those who support captivity and lucrative grants for experiments are advisors with some planned sanctuaries.
4. Mega Pollution Projects Must Be Stopped!
Both US and Canadian governments must stop mega projects that threaten orcas. This includes the proposed Delta Port Terminal 2 and the 40 year Westshore Coal Terminal plans. Both are in a SRKW Critical Habitat.
5. Fishing Industry versus Orcas!
Immediate fishing moratoriums are needed to mend the broken ocean food chain. Healthier plant based foods such as artificial salmon, fish fillets, crab, lobsters are available. It will help save marine life and feed a hungry world! People can choose but orcas have no choices. Our petition urges Canada to take similar actions. Save the Orca Families Now!
It’s Lifeforce 40th Anniversary! Can you Help Us Help Orcas?
Some organizations make exaggerated and/or false claims that they have protected orcas. Shockingly some have never even opposed numerous Vancouver Aquarium expansions, captivity and unnecessary research.
Lifeforce volunteers were trailblazers!
On the water: Harassed by boaters that threatened and waked our little 18’ research boat! Lifeforce got regulations to Keep Them Up to 400m from Orcas!
On land: Our facts about captivity cruelty challenged by the aquarium industry! Lifeforce proved them wrong! Vancouver Aquarium cetacean captivity banned!
Lifeforce was created in 1981 to raise public awareness of the interrelationship of human, animal and environmental rights. This year, we have many projects that we hope to complete. This includes book publications and a documentary.
Donations can be made to Lifeforce Foundation either by mail to: Lifeforce Foundation, Box 3117, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6B 3X6 or through PayPal (Click on “Support Us” on www.lifeforcefoundation.org). Please use our printable donation form for all postal mail donations. DONATION FORM.